Public Knowledge Project: SENIOR FRONT-END SOFTWARE DEVELOPER
Viewed 0 times
Headquarters: Public Knowledge Project, VPRI, SFU
The Senior Front-End Software Developer will be responsible for building, documenting, and maintaining the UI component library for PKP’s software, particularly Open Journal Systems (OJS), Open Monograph Press (OMP), and Open Preprint Systems (OPS). You will translate mockups from the design team into UI components using Vue.js and help the development team use these to build accessible interfaces. You will be responsible for maintaining dependencies and managing the build pipeline.
As part of a small, fully remote team developing open source software used by more than 30,000 journals around the world to protect public access to scholarly knowledge, you will participate in an international community, collaborate with users to understand system requirements, investigate bug reports, and work with team members to meet usability requirements.
Applicants to this position should have 3 or more years of experience in a position showing technical leadership. This position offers the chance to work on truly distributed, open source software, learning how to engineer solutions that balance extensibility, reliability, and maintainability in a wide range of browsers and languages. You should apply even if you don’t feel that your background is a 100% match with the description of the position.
The software developer reports to the Associate Director of Development.
- Build and maintain Vue.js components for PKP’s UI Library (source) in collaboration with the designer
- Work with back-end developers to establish and strengthen the software’s REST APIs
- Participate in code reviews with other members of the software development team
- Coordinate your work with other members of the software development team as determined by the release schedule
- Participate in PKP community events such as conferences, sprints, and webinars
- Work collaboratively and resolve disagreements effectively with a diverse range of individuals and stakeholders
- Experience coding and maintaining a UI component library
- Experience with webpack or similar build tools for modern frontend frameworks
- Experience working with REST APIs for web applications
- Experience with international, multilingual software development
- Experience building accessible web-based interfaces
- Experience with Vue.js
- Experience with PHP, particularly Laravel
- Experience with scholarly publishing workflows like peer review and technical standards like DOIs
- Experience developing open source software
- Experience working with designers and an understanding of design processes
- Experience translating designs into UI components that technical colleagues feel confident using
This is a 1-year independent contractor position with a 3-month probationary period, with likely future renewal and opportunities for advancement within the role. The work schedule is flexible, but the candidate will be expected to work 36 hours per week, participate in scheduled meetings, conferences, and webinars, and coordinate their work schedule with their team leader.
PKP is a remote team with colleagues spread across Canada, South Asia, South America, and Europe. The chosen candidate should be able to work independently between check-ins.
Compensation for this position is $70,000 – $100,000 CAD annually. Salary varies depending on experience and hours worked, and includes pay in lieu of benefits and vacation.
Please apply with a resume, cover letter, and any relevant code samples. Code samples should address the required qualifications. The cover letter should address your interest in PKP and the work that we do. The position will remain open until filled.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. The Public Knowledge Project is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from qualified candidates of all genders, visible minorities, persons of First Nations, Inuit, or Métis heritage, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ2SIA+ identified persons.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/public-knowledge-project-senior-front-end-software-developer
Anywhere in the World Location
Public Knowledge Project: SENIOR FRONT-END SOFTWARE DEVELOPER Apply for job Apply For Job × To apply, please visit the following URL:https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/public-knowledge-project-senior-front-end-software-developer→ Viewed 0 times Job Description Posted 3 days ago...View company profile
The largest community on the web to find and list jobs that aren't restricted by commutes or a specific location.